Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Hunger Games

I saw the Hunger Games last Saturday with 6 of my friends. We bought the bucket of popcorn that said Hunger Games, the kind you get free refills. Even before the movie started, we went and got a refill. Popcorn goes by fast with 6 teenage girls! I do have a few comments, though. The movie was good overall.

#1. Camera work. The camera was constantly shaking, even during the non-action shots. That made it difficult to focus on the movie. Whenever the was an action shot, such as the bloodbath, the fight Katniss had with Clove or Peeta and Cato's wrestle, the camera would just flash shots of the action. It was really hard to tell what was going on. Peeta and Cato (or Josh and Alexander, to go buy their real names) were both blond and had similar builds. With the way the action was shot, it was hard to see who was who. I guess it was supposed to be artistic, but it was just confusing.

#2. Haymitch. Oh my gosh, Haymitch was perfect. Not too drunk, and still had that sarcastic flair. Not to mention his hair! Woody Harrelson was just the right choice.

#3. Rue. Now, she was a character I wanted to see. I fully expected to cry during her death, but I didn't. Not because it wasn't emotional, but because of the way that Amandla Stenberg portrayed her. Rue didn't seem like someone to protect; she seemed really confident. That was something I didn't like.

#4. Prim. Why, oh why, were her only lines were basically "NO! NO! NO!?" It seemed too dramatic.

#5. Effie. I absolutely love Effie, but they never actually said her name during the movie. It was just implied that you knew who she was.

#6. Hair and makeup. I want to hug whoever was in charge of this department. They did a great job with all the Capital people, making them just as I imagined. The time this must have taken is incredible. Kudos to them!

#7. Cinna. I loved Cinna. He was exactly as I imagined, even down to the gold eyeliner. Little details like that make me love or hate a movie.

I was going to have 12 comments, one for each of the 12 districts, but I my finger are starting to hurt and I want to go watch Psych, so I'll stop.

Remember, may the odds be ever in your favor!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this! Good to hear other people's opinions about the movie-I mostly agreed with everything you said. I ended up watching it twice, once with friends and once with family, so by the second time around, I had come to appreciate the camera work. When you know what is happening, it makes it easier to like.

    ReplyDelete